Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Oh Lucky me...

Traveling around the world has always been one of my secret dreams. When I finally decided to make it a reality, and started talking about it to people around me, the most common answer I got was either : “Are you sure you want to do this?” …. (YES I WANT TO!) Or :“Go for it while you still can!” , “You are young you can do it! Lucky you!” .

………………….. Riiiight ……………………………..…..


1- Are you sure about this?

I know it does sound crazy. I have a comfortable Life in this country (UAE), I can have a good career in my field and all I need is to find a partner to have a family and a “bright future”, right?

That’s not what I want. YES I am sure of what I’m doing. I have been wanting to travel and leave this country for years now, and yet every time I just fall back in my old little routine and postpone my dreams of “freedom”.

It is not an easy decision to take; we humans tend to resist change. And change is what we need to keep our life exciting, and filled with surprises.

So yes, although it still is a bit unclear in my mind concerning the plans I have, I know I want to jump in and be lead by my Faith. Passion drives me in photography, I know I’ll be able to fulfill it. The World is not as harsh as it is shown; it’s actually a beautiful place with amazing people!
And let’s forget about the World Crisis, Swine Flu and other apocalyptic events for a while…

2- Go for it!, You are Young! Lucky You!

Sorry to say this but… That’s bullshit.

Why should I feel luckier than others? It has nothing to do with luck and age!

A friend once told me: “You are lucky to have seen the northern lights”
I replied: “No. I just bought a ticket and went to see it”. Easy.

When I ask “Why don’t you do it?”, I get always the same answers: Responsibility, and money.

Well, let me start with money. I have enough savings to be able to live less than 6 months in Europe without income.. Is that much? We are talking about my savings, all I have!
So, NO, I do not have more money than anyone else, I am just going to try to live a very simple Life, I don’t need 5 star hotels, I don’t need a 3 course meal every day. A couch/sleeping bag and a sandwich are enough. It’s a choice. Not everyone likes to live like that.
I have a few plans to try to make some minimum income while I’m on the move, and try to sustain with that until I am able to live out of my photos and projects.

Concerning responsibility? True, I am single, no loans, no children. I have a job but I can quit. All these are false excuses too. I have met many families travelling around the world with their children.. That’s an amazing experience for their kids!

I have seen a couple doing an 800km (500mile) pilgrimage with their 14 months old daughter, and I have never seen a baby smile as much as she did! How do these people cope? They just accept to do some sacrifices. It’s not easy, nobody said it was.

What about age? I met on the same pilgrimage path, a 72 year old mother, and 70 year old American man, a 70 year old hospitalero that goes surfing and skiing every week, and an 85 year old couple that were doing it for the 12th time.. How’s that for an answer? ;)


So what drives those people to go on a long trip? It’s not luck, not lack of responsibility, not age.

It’s GUTS, WILL and FAITH.

I have the guts to do it and I have the will to do it. I am afraid of what awaits for me in a few months, but I use it to fuel my passion. I have Faith!

So next time, when you feel I am lucky to be able to do this, stop and ask yourself: Do you REALLY want to do the same thing or are you happy with your comfort? Do you REALLY have responsibilities that tie you down and prevent you from travelling? I hope not! And I wish we could meet somewhere in a random country and talk about our exciting adventures together!

No comments:

Post a Comment