Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back from Lebanon

Finally back from Lebanon and getting prepared for the last stretch before I leave the UAE!

My trip was not as relaxing as I wished. I spend almost half of it sick at home because of some food poisoning or whatever it was. I still have an upset stomach, better be careful with what I eat!

While I still have family over there, and although it’s a beautiful country, traveling to Lebanon has become less exciting for me.
Sure there is still much to see over there, but unfortunately many places have been “plagued” and corrupted by politics. Old buildings, Landscapes or touristic places are “decorated” with political party flags or portraits of “leaders”. In Lebanon, it is unacceptable not to have political ideas or not to belong to any movement. That’s all they have and all they are interested in… Politics.

Over the years, I personally find that Lebanon hasn’t changed much. It is still as chaotic as it was before. It must also be one of the last people on Earth that still clap when the plane lands safely in Beirut (I mean.. do I have to clap to my taxi driver when he gets me somewhere?).

Still, politics aside, it remains a beautiful country with amazing landscapes. A concentrate of mountains, valleys, beaches and forests in such a tiny space. You can go from baking under the sun on the beach to skiing on the snowy slopes of the mountains in less than 30 minutes! (if no traffic jam that is..).
I just hope it remains that way and some areas would stay protected as buildings tend to pop up here and there very fast, spoiling the whole landscape and wilderness.

I had the chance to visit 2 areas while I stayed there. The North of Lebanon and Baalbeck, the biggest temple dedicated to Jupiter in the Middle East. I’ll write about it in 2 different posts with photos.
North of Lebanon is still one of those rare untouched areas with amazing mountains, valleys and old villages.

Overall, it was an “ok” trip, if I hadn’t been so sick. Time to get seriously to work now and prepare my departure for the 5th of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment