Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just a day in Barcelona

Just like every morning for the past few days, a loud BANG awakens me around 6AM.

My Peruvian friend (who gladly offered me a bed to sleep on) has just left the old apartment, ready for a day’s work as a taxi driver in the streets of Barcelona.

I try to go back to my dreamland but all I manage to do is roll around in bed endlessly until I finally decide to get up and start my day.

Sitting in the poorly lit cold living room, I slowly munch my croissant with a cup of tea while observing the decoration around me. Family pictures stuck under colorful fantasy frames, crosses and statues of the Virgin Mary gathered in a corner silently returning my gaze under the dancing flame of a red candle, Peruvian puppets hanging on the walls gathering dust…  These all belong to the personal world of my friend I had met a few months ago on the Camino de Santiago. It’s his connection to his family, culture, tradition.

As I wash the dishes, I try to figure out what my plan is for this day. A quick peek at the window confirms that Barcelona is still refusing Autumn. It’s a bright sunny day! Will it be a walk on the beach with tapas and sangria? Or just being lazy reading a book in one of the many parks of this huge city?

I gather my notebooks and some reading material in my bag and grab the keys hanging next to the door. Time to enjoy the sunshine!

As I slowly walk down the stairs, I look at the time on my old mobile phone and notice the date. November already… Each step down suddenly feels like a descent in the depths of my past.

It was exactly two months ago when I left home, my job, my family and my friends to travel around the world as I wish. I was unhappy with the life I was living. It was superficial, materialistic and unexciting. I needed a big change, I needed to live my dreams and unite my passion of photography with my thirst of discovery and knowledge.

I prepared my travel plans and gathered all the money I could and saved for the past years to enjoy my trip without stressing out about financial issues.. at least for a few months.

It was a hard moment to face, leaving all my past life behind, as well as my comfort and family but the excitement about traveling overtook my anxiety and I finally left the country with no regrets, no looking back.

Since then, I had traveled in a few countries in Europe and walked for 900km in Spain, reaching Finisterra and back. And now I was left wondering where to go next, what to do? Money was running out fast as long as I stayed in Europe, I had to leave the continent or find an income.

As I open the door, a bright sunshine welcomes me in the busy street. It’s a perfect day to make decisions and plan my next step. As much as I am enjoying my time in Spain, I reminded myself that I wanted a Round-The-World trip and a big cultural difference.

Standing there for a few seconds, a Chinese shop caught my eye. With a smile I start walking towards the metro station. Everything is a sign: I am going to Asia soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment