Friday, November 6, 2009

I am a Traveler, not a Tourist.

You may pack up and leave to a foreign country for some quality time alone or with a partner. You may follow a guidebook or join a tour to discover new places. You may sleep in a fancy hotel.

You can do whatever you want, but I insist on one thing… I am NOT a tourist. I am a traveler.

I travel to a foreign country, not to “relax” after a stressful year of work, but I travel to discover something new.

I travel outside my comfort zone, and put myself in unexpected situations instead of taking my own comfort bubble with me wherever I go.

I travel to learn about cultures, traditions. I travel to grow spiritually, to share, to teach.

I take my time, I WALK, I go slow instead of taking the bus tours that go too fast. I might get exhausted physically but I come back mentally recharged. It’s not about seeing a lot in a short time, it’s about immersing in.

I try to learn the language, at least a few sentences. I try to communicate with the locals to discover the places to be, instead of following guides or famous places. I try to show I care.

I am the guest, I respect the hosts and the place I am. I am not in a Disneyworld where I NEED to get what I paid for.

I eat with the locals in small restaurants, or in their home instead of searching for the big chains that offer me food I already know.

I carry the minimum with me, I take only what I need instead of huge luggage of unwanted and unneeded stuff. Less is more. 

I travel, I live the moment, I live my journey.

I break the barrier between the rich world and the locals.. I go where they go, I live what they live. How many Indians visited Taj Mahal? How many Peruvians climbed to Macchu Pichu?

I try to contribute into making the place better, I try to contribute into improving the condition of the people, into adding value to the place I am instead of making it a more appealing touristic place. I do not suck the soul of the place.

I appreciate what is offered to me, I am grateful instead of ordering or “wanting”.

I become a nomad, I melt in.

I become what humans always were.. travelers.

4 comments:

  1. Great to read you finally my brother...

    I was expecting with great impatience these words that have been growing for the last months. These words that have emerged from each one of your steps. These words that shall slowly but surely describe the most important journey you shall undertake... The journey within.

    May your path be blessed with light.

    With love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry, Daniel. Although be kind to the tourists, a lot of them are just amateur travelers-to-be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ... love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful Dan....

    Yes you ARE a traveler and you will ALWAYS carry this with you... whether youre in your country of a country thats 18 hours away from you....

    We are travelers and its the most RICH fulfilling Journey one may make out of Life...

    I say this, as i look down at my tattoo... I recently did a tattoo that says "Por un Camino Rico"...
    Siempre es un camino por nosotros. Simpre debe que ser RICO.

    ReplyDelete